Happy 4th Of July

On this day, we celebrate our nations independence.  The day we officially became a nation, no more British, no more taxation without representation, no more king or queen to tell us what to do.  As I sit here listening to Don McLean's American Pie, I can't help but to think about our troops all around the world.  I especially think about one soldier who spent a year in Iraq where she sustained a back injury in the line of duty.  This soldier since returning home has gotten nothing but a run around from the V.A. in treating this injury.  While performing her duties, she herniated a disc and also sustained 2 bulging disc's in her lower vertebrae.  The V.A. doctors have delayed for almost 2 years now in any type of permanent treatment to relieve the pain and numbness that radiates down her legs.  These pin heads have given her pain killers and muscle relaxers, but like myself she does not really want to be doped up all day and night.  The doctors have prescribed multiple rounds of physical therapy which has not relieved any of the pain.  It would appear that the next logical step would be surgery.  Believe me I know, I went through this entire process with bulging disc's in my back.  However, the brain surgeons up at the V.A. will not take the next step to prescribe surgery stating that she is "too young".  WHAT!  WHAT!  ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME!  To young?  I never heard of anything so ridiculous!  This former soldier is in her late 20's is in my opinion a perfect candidate for spinal surgery.  Why would you wait until you are older and less likely to recover correctly.  Young people are stronger and more apt to fully recover from this type of surgery.  Why the doctors at the V.A. won't take this next step is beyond me.

After hearing about how this soldier is being treated I just wonder if all our other injured troops are being given the run around on treatment?  My guess would be YES!  These people in most cases volunteer to serve our great nation by putting their lives on the line in some god forsaken country overseas.  The least out government can do is properly treat them for any injuries they get while serving.  Instead, it appears that they get nothing but the run around and they deserve better.  For this particular soldier I say lets get the surgery scheduled so she can get back to leading a normal life.  Stop screwing around with pain killers and muscle relaxers.  Being all hopped up on this crap is no way to live.  Believe me I know.  I went through it.  I also know what this soldier is going through because I speak with her almost every day.  She is my daughter.  She volunteered to go to Iraq and for that I give her all of the credit in the world.  So on this 4th of July, don't just think about fire works and patriotic songs.  Think about our troops overseas as well as our troops who are now home.  Think of the troops who put their lives on the line for our freedom.  Think about the founding fathers and the patriots who also volunteered to fight the tyranny of the British.  If they didn't take up arms to rebel, we would not be celebrating our independence today.    

Comments