A Two Wheeled Revelation

On Monday morning I sat down at the kitchen table with a nice hot cup of coffee and opened the newspaper (The Times Leader) to start a relaxing holiday.  As I moved through the pages I got to 5A and there I had a epiphany.  I had a revelation so strong that it was like Moses himself descending from the mountain with the 10 Commandments.  It was an awakening to state government so abrupt that it slapped me in the face like a whore on Friday night.   The headline of the story read, "Deaths of bikers up since Pa. law repeal.  You see, more than 10 years ago, Pennsylvania lawmakers in Harrisburg decided to give motorcycle drivers the option to wear a helmet.  If you are 21 years or older and have 2 years of riding experience you can toss the helmet to the side and go with your bare cranium as you cruise over the Cross Valley at 65 miles per hour.  Since that time, motorcycle related deaths have increased by 35%.  Last year alone 210 people died in accidents and only 100 of them were actually wearing a helmet.  That is less than 50%. One hundreds and four were not and 6 were undetermined.  Undetermined?  How can that be?

Anyway, once I read this story my eyes were opened up as to how stupid and hypocritical our politicians in Harrisburg are.  Let me give you an example.  If I jump in my car to run down the corner to grab a coffee, I have to be strapped into a seat belt like John Glenn was as he was launched into space.  However, if I ride unprotected on a motorcycle I do not have to wear a helmet.  Where is the logic in this?  I'll tell you where, up somebody's backside.  The bottom line here is that the lobbyist group Alliance of Bikers Aimed Toward Education fought hard in the state capital to get the helmet law repealed.  They threw a boat load of cash the way of our state senators especially Democrat John Wozniak of Johnston County who sponsored this insane bill.  Wozniak also states that he does not see this trend in not wearing helmets reverse anytime soon since there has been no movement in this direction.

Let me just say this.  The bottom line here is, I cannot believe that people would be dumb enough not to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle.  It simple puzzles the crap out of me.  What also baffles me is the fact that people driving cars must legally wear a seat belt or the get fined out the wazoo.  It just does not compute.  As Mr. Spock would say, "It is illogical".  I just don't get it.  Maybe if I jumped on a crotch rocket and tore ass down the street at 60 miles per hour with the wind blowing across my bald skull I would understand.  However, the fear that I may take a tumble and scramble my brains all over the pavement tells me not to.  Helmet or scrambled brains?  I guess the choice is ours?    

  

Comments