Home Owners Insurance- You Will Laugh

If you are a home owner, then you know that home owners insurance is a must. When you buy your home you do your research to find the best policy and then pay out the back pocket to insure your home. When you sign the papers, you may browse through them or you may just sign on the dotted line and be done with it. However, have you ever really read through your policy line by line, word by word? My wife did this yesterday and let me tell you, I was stunned by what was in there. I couldn't believe some of the things that I am covered for. Of course, I am covered for the usual things like fire, certain theft and general damages. That is good. I am very happy with this part of my policy.

Now, after reading our policy over, I found that I am actually covered for damages due to a volcano! WHAT! WHAT! A volcano? ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME! My guess would be that the NEPA region hasn't had a volcanic eruption since the Mesozoic Era when the dinosaurs ruled the planet. Oh, it gets better. I am covered for the ash and lava destruction, but not certain types of earthquake destruction that in many cases comes along with the volcanic eruption. Here is where it gets better. I am covered if the earthquake happens first and then the lava destroys my house. I am not covered if my house is spared lava destruction and then the earthquake hits. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME! There is about one in a trillion chance of my home being destroyed in a volcanic eruption but I am insured for it. In fact, Mr. Spock couldn't even calculate the odds of my house being destroyed in a volcanic eruption.

Here is what really bites at my gluteus maximus. Luzerne County has deemed that I live in a flood zone and I agree, but my home owners insurance does not cover flood damage. I have to get separate insurance for that. What a scam! Maybe I should be able to choose one type of natural disaster coverage from a listing to include in my home owners policy. I can tell you it wouldn't be volcano coverage! This is insane! Anyway, if you want a good chuckle, pull out your home owners insurance policy and read it through carefully. I recommend that you lay some pillows on the floor around your chair baecause you may fall over in laughter.

Comments

  1. What a great blog, so true. home owners insurance is one of the reason people tend to rent more than they buy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment