Raises All Around

I was going to write about the government shutdown today, but I just went out to my front porch to pick up my Times Leader and immediately saw this front page story, "No Tax Increases in Leighton's 2014 Budget.  WOW, what could I Gripe about here?  The line below this says, "City Workers and mayor will receive raises".  WHAT!  WHAT!  ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME!  I thought because of all the whining about no money that the city of Wilkes-Barre was just about broke.  In addition the mayor will hire 10 new police officers at a total cost of $1 million dollars.  I am OK with the hiring of 10 new officers considering Wilkes-Barre has become a drug infested cesspool of crime.  I am not OK with each officer making $100,000 per year.  How many murders have we had so far this year, 6,7 or maybe 8 no 9.  My question is where in the hell is he getting all of this money?

Tommy "Bag of Toe Nails" Leighton unveiled his $42.7 million budget yesterday which includes a 3% raise for all unionized employees which make up most of the city's workforce.  This raise was negotiated by the city and the parasite unions.  This really ticks me off because in this time of financial hardships for most, these city employees are getting a raise.  How about we pave more roads and actually try to stop crime before it happens instead.  On top of this 3% raise for the city minions, the Mayor is also taking a nice chunk of change in the form of a raise.  Tommy "Bags" salary will jump from $79,911 a year to $82,309.  WHAT, the mayor makes $82,309 a year.  When asked why he took the raise he simply said that it was consistent with what all the city employees receive.  In addition, (and this sent me through the roof) the Mayors medical insurance costs will drop from $19,793 annually to $19,755.  How can this be?  All over the country people's health care costs are rising. 

To sum this up in two words, THIS STINKS!  I am all about no new taxes.  I am all about hiring 10 new cops as long as they are actually patrolling the streets and not waiting for hot coffee and donuts.  I am not in favor of raises or reductions in health care costs.  You may think that I am crazy, but I remember the layoff of 11 firefighters last year.  I remember the downgrading of the city's credit rating due to no cash.  I remember the workers taking a voluntary furlough.  Also, lets not forget that if our jug-heads in Washington don't come to a compromise, all of this goes right out the door.  I am guessing that about 4 to 6 months into 2014, the city will be crying poverty while "Tommy Bags" and his minions are laughing all the way to easy street.   



  

 

Comments