Joe Must Go

These are not happy times in Happy Valley, Pennsylvania. Former Penn State Defensive Coordinator Jerry Sandusky has been charged with 40 counts of sexual abuse against children stemming back to 2002. It is alleged that Sandusky sexually abused eight boys over a 15 year period through his charity for at-risk youth, authorities charged. On one occasion, a graduate student at the school saw Sandusky sodomizing a young boy in the shower room. On another occasion coaches saw him showering with a 10 year old boy. Actually, this makes me sick! I just threw up in my mouth! Also caught up in the scandal are Senior Vice President Gary Schultz and Athletic Director Tim Curley who both stepped down from their posts late on Sunday, one day after the charges were announced. It appears that for several years Sandusky had been molesting young boys and officials at Penn State simply swept it under the rug. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that this was Florida State or maybe Miami. Not at Penn State!

Of course there are plenty of questions to ask here. Why did they sweep it under the rug? Why was it allowed to go on without reporting it and my big question, why didn't Joe Paterno go to the police after nothing was done by the school? Or did they go to the police and they crushed it? As much as I do not like JoePa and Penn State, I always saw him as a stand up kind of guy. On the outside it always appeared that he went by the book and dished out the appropriate justice when needed. I always remember JoePa benching his starting QB Tom Bill for being drunk in the gutter. I guess I was wrong. In my opinion Paterno had a moral obligation to go to the authorities outside of the school since the higher ups at the Happy Valley college stood by and did nothing. It appears that JoePa washed his hands like Pontius Pilate as he sentenced Jesus to death on the cross. To me and many others, the thought of JoePa turning the other cheek is inexcusable. PERIOD! Over the years the school has given the deaf old bat a pass on several issues, however I think the hall pass has expired and Joe will go to retirement detention. It is beyond my comprehension as to how the people around Jerry Sandusky could have let him sexually abuse children for several years after they knew about it in 2002.

Now, some of you die hard and blinded Nittany Lion fans will say that Joe did his job. He reported it to the Athletic Director and then turned away to allow it to be handled from that level. However, the Sand Man, Sandusky was JoePa's right hand man, the heir apparent to the Lions throne, the architect of the great defenses, the maker of great linebackers. Isn't it the job of the head coach to police his coaches. Hell, they do it with the players. Or are they the reasons as to why he did not report it to anyone else. In my opinion, Paterno turned a blind eye to the entire situation. It was his moral obligation to the school, his team and the children of the Happy Valley area to report this injustice to the police. He didn't! It is also my opinion that its time for Joe To Go! Let's all say it together....JOE MUST GO....JOE MUST GO....One more time....JOE MUST GO!

Stay tuned in to the R2G as this story develops.

Comments